Cattle ranchers and business people, led by William Paxton, formed the Union Stockyards Company in 1883. Within a few years, Chicago-based companies led by Philip Armour, Michael Cudahy, and Gustavus and Edwin Swift set up meat processing plants near the yards. The village of South Omaha – incorporated in 1886 with around 600 people – grew to 8,000 residents by 1890. Originally settled by German, Irish and Scandanavian immigrants, the turn of the century saw Poles, Czechs and other eastern European families flood the area seeking jobs.
Take a look at the early days of S. 24th Street.