Christian Specht Building

 

The Christian Specht Building is located at 1110 Douglas Street in downtown Omaha, Nebraska. It is the only existing building in Nebraska with a cast-iron facade, and one of the few ever built in the state. The building was deemed an Omaha landmark in 1981, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. Designed by local architects Dufrene and Mendelssohn in 1884, the three-story Specht Building was modeled in the Italian Renaissance Revival Style. Christian Specht’s company, the Western Cornice Works, manufactured the facade.

On January 12, 2016, Omaha City Council voted to acquire the Specht and three adjacent buildings via eminent domain, condemn, and demolish them to make way for an expansion to the Omaha Performing Arts Center.

Your local preservation group, Restoration Exchange Omaha, rallied concerned community members, staged protests, and presented alternatives to demolition. In February of 2016, Omaha Performing Arts dropped its downtown property acquisition deal with the city.

REO Rally to Save the Specht in November, 2015

Share This